1 incapable of being explained or accounted for; "inexplicable errors"; "left the house at three in the morning for inexplicable reasons" [syn: inexplicable] [ant: explicable]
2 difficult to understand; "the most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible"- A. Einstein [syn: uncomprehensible] [ant: comprehensible]
- impossible or very difficult to understand
- Greg Bear, Heads, 1990
- He shook his head. 'It's not only undefined, it's incomprehensible. Even the QL is befuddled by it and can't give me straight answers.'
- Mark Twain, Letters From The Earth, 1938
- But this inference, which is supported by the opening of Book I, renders incomprehensible the note "and I have finished writing this," which is included within the dream.
- Greg Bear, Heads, 1990
Comprehension has the following meanings:
- In general usage, and more specifically in reference to education and psychology, it has roughly the same meaning as understanding.
- Reading comprehension measures the understanding of a passage of text
- In logic, the comprehension
of an object is the totality of intensions, that is,
properties or qualities, that it possesses.
- Related to this, in Anglicanism, comprehension (or comprehensiveness) refers to the theological inclusiveness and liturgical breadth thought to be integral to the definition of the tradition
- In set theory, comprehension is another name for the axiom schema of specification (or more specifically, the axiom schema of unrestricted specification).
- A related term in computer science, list comprehension, denotes an adaptation of mathematical set notation to represent infinite lists. Comprehensions are most closely associated with Haskell, but are available in other languages such as Python, Scheme and Common Lisp.
Greek to one, abstruse, all-comprehensive, all-inclusive, ambiguous, antic, arcane, baffling, beguiling, bewildering, beyond understanding, boundless, countless, cryptic, dark, deep, endless, enigmatic, eternal, exceptional, exhaustless, extending everywhere, extraordinary, fabulous, fanciful, fantastic, fascinating, illimitable, illimited, immeasurable, immense, impenetrable, impossible, inarticulate, incalculable, incognizable, incoherent, inconceivable, incredible, indecipherable, inexhaustible, infinite, infinitely continuous, innumerable, inscrutable, interminable, interminate, limitless, marvelous, measureless, miraculous, mysterious, mystifying, no end of, numinous, obscure, occult, opaque, outlandish, passing strange, past comprehension, perpetual, perplexing, phenomenal, prodigious, puzzling, rambling, rare, recondite, remarkable, sensational, shoreless, strange, striking, stupendous, sumless, termless, unaccountable, unbelievable, unbounded, uncircumscribed, unconnected, undecipherable, unexpected, unfathomable, unheard-of, unimaginable, unintelligible, unique, universal, unknowable, unlimited, unmeasurable, unmeasured, unnumbered, unplumbed, unprecedented, unsearchable, untold, without bound, without end, without limit, without measure, without number, wonderful, wondrous